The Euromoney Japan Forex Forum took place on 1 June 2012 and brought together almost 400 of the city’s leading players in the foreign exchange markets.
We were honoured to welcome Takehiko Nakao, Vice Minister of Finance for International Affairs who delivered the opening keynote address at the conference. A series of panels addressing the latest developments in Japan, Europe, the US and broader developments across Asia followed. Expert speakers tackled the most pressing issues for these economies and what these meant for key currency crosses. One of the overriding themes of the day was the growing influence of monetary policy and its impact on the foreign exchange markets. This issue was tackled head on in relation to the G3 economies in the second panel of the day and in relation to emerging market economies during the final panel of the conference. As well as discussions surrounding the most pressing macroeconomic issues, conversations centred around how to effectively and most profitably execute FX trades, and how to benefit from recent developments in trading platforms. Delegates also enjoyed a lively and informative panel focusing on how to effectively manage risk and hedge in today’s markets.
• Eiji Hirano, Board of Directors, Executive Vice President, Toyota Financial Services Corporation
• Tetsuya Inoue, General Manager and Chief Researcher, Financial Technology and Market Research Department, Nomura Research Institute
• Tomoya Masanao, Managing Director, Head of Portfolio Management, PIMCO Japan
• Yuuki Sakurai, Chief Executive Officer, Fukoku Capital Management
• Yoshiaki Iizuka, Managing Director, Head of Research, Rogers Investment Advisors
• Shoichiro Koike, Representative in Japan, Canonbury Group
• Fumio Nakakubo, Investment Strategist, BlackRock Japan Co. Ltd.
• Manabu Tamaru, Senior Investment Manager, Baring Asset Management (Japan)
• Raffaele De Marchi, Senior Economist, Bank of Italy, Tokyo
• Martin Schulz, Senior Economist, Fujitsu Research Institute
• John Vail, Senior Managing Director, Chief Global Strategist and Head of Global Asset Allocation, Nikko Asset Management
• Kazuto Doi, Head of Investment Management, Japan, Western Asset Management
• Sean Matsuda, Chief Executive Officer, HSBC Global Asset Management (Japan)
The day was full of engaging and stimulating debates between many of the markets leading figures. Thank you to all our sponsors, speakers and delegates who made this event possible. We look forward to building upon the success of this event next year.